Rock n Roll Weekend


So a pretty fuckin eventfull weekend.  So much so that it took me 2 days to recover enough to write about it. 

FRIDAY:  Friday my friend Ash and I set down the 401 to go drink it up with best buddy Motel  for his big 30th birthday!  We get there and before we get in the front door, tallboys are cracked open.  We sat around for a while, doing shots of rum, drinkin, and watching DIG!.  Once everyone was loose and ready to rock we made our way down to Call the Office.  The single greatest rock and roll bar there is.  This, as usual, is when the night becomes a big blur.  The next thing I remeber we are getting food at the Sammy Slouvaki, and trying to not fall.  

This turned out to be hard to do, as Motel took a serious spill on the way home doing a wicked faceplant onto the ground.  He walked ahead of us hunched over, and refused to have us come near.  Once we hit the front portch light, I realized why.  It looks like he broke his nose right between the eyes.  Blood was everywhere.  Just picture the Andrew WK album cover, only more blood.  Long story short, we wake up in the morning, Motel thinks I punched him, and he refused to go to the hospital, rather wanting to go get breakfest.  What a trooper.

SATURDAY:  After a sleep on motels hardwood floor, we wake up and head back to the tri citys.  I drop off Ash, and grab a greasy BK Whopper in hopes of soaking up booze.  It was good.  I get to my brothers place around noon, and within 2 hours we were on the TORONTO FC BOOZE BUS.  For those who dont know, this bus leaves the mighty Shakespear Arms in guelph, and for about 15 bucks you get a round trip busride to BMO FIELD in Toronto.

So we start getting shitfaced, obviously, and watched the most exciting FC game to date.  The weather was beyond perfect.  After the game I left with Adrian and Steve O to go to our friend Cath's house for pre Plaskett booze and BBQ.  By the time we get to Massy Hall for the Joel Plaskett show, we are all right buzzed.  Which is good because you cannot get booze there until intermission.  My stomach was not my best friend all day, and the Joel show was no different.  I had to go to the bathroom about 5 times during the show, and the fact that I enjoyed the sounds coming out of my own body, then what was coming from the stage, is the most succinct review I can give.  It was beyond boring.  First set was all acoustic.  Bored to tears.  Literally.  The intermission came, and we bolt to the bar downstairs.  I get a beer and a wiskey sour and down them as fast as possible.  I didnt want to sober up for the second set.  Finally the actual band comes out, but that lasted about 3 songs before he went acoustic again.  I took another stroll to the bathroom.  It wasnt until he came out and did an encore when I truly got fed up.  He finally does a Thrush Hermit song, and its.......ACOUSTIC.  I gave up.  With half an hour left in the show, I get in a cab by myself and go to Nicks house.  Nick and Axl and others were on the patio, and Van Halen's Fair Warning was on.  Finally, some Rock tonight.  We hung out and drank, and eventually took a cab to the Underground where we met everyone after the show.  It was a really fun night and everyone was just jackt in general.  At the end of the night, the DJ goes on the speaker and yells out "Alright this one goes out to Johny.   Happy Birthday Johny!" and the opening riffs to Thin Lizzys Jailbreak started.  Turns out Adrian told them it was my birthday to get the song played.  Needless to say it cheered me right up.  So after the bar closed, we went to Cafe Roma for some 4am Pasta.  It was good.  Pass out on Columbian Dave and Axls couch.

SUNDAY:  Sunday was rough.  2 days of drinkin was starting to hurt, and I knew i had one day to go, for it was CHICKENFOOT DAY!!  After a long walk in the sun, I decided to return to Daves place and take a power nap.  Once the bros showed up at Ed and Nicks it was on!  Drank a shit load there, then made our way to Teds.  The best bar in Toronto.  We made an iPod playlist and got super fuckin jackt.  Nothing like hearing GBV cranked at a bar on a late afternoon.  

The Chickenfoot show was one of the best fuckin rock shows I have seen in a  long time.  If you dont believe me, GO SEE THEM!!  Fuckers.

You Might Also Like

1 comments