My 12 Hours in the Twilight Zone

Last night started off like most nights. I was sitting on my couch, and as I usually do on Mondays, I set the downloads for the new episodes of Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I was dying to go for a walk, so I headed over to Karls place and hung out for a bit. After sitting around for a bit, we took a brisk walk for some water. While hanging out at Karls, we herd a giant explosion, followed instantly by a power outtage. This is a pretty cool sight when you are facing downtown Guelph.

About 45 minutes later, while laying on Karls couch, I see what I thought was a fire truck pull up in front of my building, which I can see from karls couch. Turns out it was Ontario Hydro pulling up in a cherry picker. Stayed at Karls for a bit, and watched Mythbusters.

I decide to go home a little before 10, and walk to my front door only to see two hydro workers walking around with flash lights. "This is fuckin perfect" I think to myself. I walk into the hallway and something seemed off. There wasnt a full power outtage it seemed because the lights were still on, but what seemed like at a quarter the power. I open my door and see my lamp in the corner that seemed really dim, like a candle on its last legs. I instantly thought to myself "fuck I wish i bought that new battery for my macbook." The battery in there now lasts a good 10 minutes without a power source.

The power kept surging, where it would power up, then power down. I could hear electricity in my room. I could hear the workers outside my window talking and trying to fix this problem.

10:30PM: Every light in my apartment turns on full force, and i hear my fridge rev up. I got so jackt to just put in a movie and fall asleep. As soon as I lay down BOOOM!!!!! Another explosion. Every light dims again. STRESSED!!

I lay there in somewhat darkness and somehow manage to pass out.

4AM: The workers must have been out there all night because at 4am I got the shit scared out of me when every single light in my apartment turns on, and the fridge gears up, and my microwave starts beeping. I stumble around turning everything off and try to fall asleep again.

6AM: With my window open, I can hear everything going on outside. Our apartment garbage bin has been moved to the parking lot on my side. This is awesome on tuesday mornings when a giant fuckin garbage truck pulls up and makes the sound of what sounds like an atomic bomb going off. I give in and give up on the idea of sleep at this point and watch an episode of Curb. Not the new one mind you, because with my modem needing POWER to fuckin work, the download of the new episode never finished. Bullshit.

7:45AM: Driving on my way to work. I am on a back road of Guelph, and at a red light ready to turn right. I creep up and there is one car behind me also wanting to turn right. I see a big gap, and thinking I could make it I accelerate a little bit, only a split second later remember that my bald tires might make me spin out and get nailed by a car. I decide to wait, when BOOM! I get hit from behind. The driver behind me must have assumed I was going to take off, and being the impatient morning driver that most people are, they wanted to fit in this tiny gap too. I exhaled and for about 30 seconds thought about it. With all the bullshit that happened the night before I didn't wanna deal with this crap. It was a light enough tap that I thought there is no way there is damage. Lord fuckin knows I am not going to get out in the pouring rain to check on this. I pull over for gas, only to find there was not even a scratch on my bumper. All's well that ends well as they say.

What a night. Cannot wait to sleep.

You Might Also Like

0 comments