Urge Overkill


In my never ending quest to catch up on 90's bands I missed out on, as well as always trying to catch up on anything Albini has worked on, I got the album SUPERSONIC STORYBOOK from Urge Overkill. Ill be damned if it isn't a rocker. Lotta really good tunes on there. I guess I never gave em a shot on account of only knowing their Neil Diamond cover from Pulp Fiction.

This album actually kinda reminds me of that Sweet Apple album that I bought last month.

God bless the 90's



On a side note, a funny story about the infamous GBV UO tour:

Guided by Voices served as opening act for Urge
Overkill on the Chicago trio's late '95 tour. But,
feeling the pinch of 30-minute sets and getting
the nightly bum's rush from the UO road crew,
Pollard's temper boiled over one night in Toronto.
That was the night the band came out for an encore
but roadies started to break down their equipment
to prepare for the main act. Pollard took offense,
and shoving ensued."And the bouncer, whom I'd been
spilling beer on all night, came up and punched me."

Pollard said he felt the band had been "betraying"
fans who paid $ 20 for a mere half-hour of opening
act material. So Guided by Voices soon dropped
out of the tour.

You Might Also Like

0 comments