Pavement Over/Under


So Magnet put out this article of overrated and underrated Pavement songs. Here is my 3 cents for each chune.

Link is here by the way.

PAVEMENT OVER/UNDER

TOP 5 OVERRATED SONGS
1. “Here” (1992): Let me start this off by saying the use of the words "overrated" and "Pavement" in the same sentence should be a perfect example of the grammatical problem plaguing our society these days. I should know, I just had to use spell check to get the proper spelling of "grammatical" and "plaguing". But I digest. "Here", being on the classic and FLAWLESS "Slanted and Enchanted" does not deserve to be on the list let alone at the top of the list. Due to this Magnet lost all credibility with this list. I will go on.

2. “Cut Your Hair” (1994) Again, I know it was a single, and arguably their "hit", and I know the hardcores probably think "oh that song does not represent Pavement and just how amazing they are." Fuck that. Awesome tune. Catchy as fuck. Kick ass video. That's 2 strikes thus far Magnet.

3. “Range Life” (1994): Ok this one maybe. Wait. Thought about it. Nope. It rules. Not over rated at all. NEXT.

4. “Shady Lane” (1997): Urg, ok now I am just getting pissed. Shady Lane, has probably some of the best lyrics that not only Malkmus put down, but ANYONE put down. "You were chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life." That is some sort of put down, that if you truly try to figure that one out, your brain may explode. I highly recommend not trying this. You dont need that kinda stress in your life. Just trust the Malk.

5. “Major Leagues” (1999) I might agree on this one. Probably my most skipped Pavement song. Please dont judge me.

TOP 5 UNDERRATED SONGS
1. “Debris Slide” (1990) Here is the fundimental flaw with what I am trying to do here. I think because pavement has not outsold Micheal Jackson, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, and Kings of Leon combined is one of the biggest crimes of our life times. For this reason, I will probably agree with everyone of these songs, cuz EVERY SONG IS UNDERRATED. Debris Slide. YES GODDAMMIT ITS UNDERRATED.

2. “Perfume-V” (1992): Holy shit. Probably my fave song on Slanted, and on my Top 8 Pavement tunes of all time.

3. “Frontwards” (1992) The second biggest crime of our lifetime, interestingly enough also involves Pavement. This time its that Watery Domestic was not a full length album. Had this been the case, I believe it would have been my fave album of all fuckin time. Every one of the 4 tracks on that EP bring pure joy to my life. This should be number 1 on the list. Every list of awesomeness that is.

4. “Gold Soundz” (1994) Kick ass video, Kick ass tune. Nuff said.

5. “Gangsters & Pranksters” (1995) YES. UNDERRATED. On a side note this is my ringtone when Michelle calls me. The third biggest crime of our lifetime is that Michelle does not call enough.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. but i digest!
    hahaha

    regards,
    ricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAJOR LEAGUES RULES!!!!

    seriously, how can you argue with

    "Lip balm on watery clay,
    relationships hey, hey, hey."

    ReplyDelete
  3. true. Ok its settled. There are ZERO overrated Pavement tunes.

    ReplyDelete