Tony Sums it Up Perfectly

I could literally take down the internet with all my thoughts on the rioting last night so I'll try to keep it to a minimum. I will never - ever - understand how the response to your team losing in any game is to smash your town up. And I will never - ever - blame booze for it. I've got plenty of friends who would be listed as dependents if alcohol ever filed a tax return and not a single one has smashed up their town. I will also never - ever - understand what is so fascinating about people smashing up their town that you want to stick around taking pics and video of it, though I'm hoping that will aid in the clowns caught on digital being sent to the Crow Bar Motel. But for all the Vancouver snobbery I've seen and heard - and it is as beautiful a place I've ever been, maybe second to Sydney, Australia - there is these unassailable fact: Toronto never rioted when the Blue Jays won a pair of World Series' in the 90's, and Philadelphia - PHILAFREAKINGDELPHIA - didn't riot when the Phillies won a couple years back, or when the Eagles or Flyers lost. New Yorkers didn't smash up their town when the Yankees won - perhaps that is of routine. I'd love to know how many of the knuckleheads lobbing bottles, burning cars, smashing into stores and stabbing people have at one time or another derided soccer fans as nothing but a bunch of hooligans. So congratulations, Vancouverites. Way to do your city proud. Here's hoping you make the final and lose again next year, and that the cops don't come with half the restraint they showed early on last night.

You Might Also Like

0 comments