Top Five 'Gwai



Since Mogwai unleashed their new single Remurdered this past week, I have been listening to Mogwai a lot.  More so than usual anyway.  I started to wonder what my Top 5 Mogwai albums are and I narrowed it down to these.

1 - HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL:  I have loved Mogwai since high school, when Ned showed me the beauty that is Christmas Steps (and the rest of Come On Die Young).  I have followed them with every album.  I will make a long story short and say between Happy Songs and Hardcore, I kind of hit a lull with the Gwai.  I still liked their new albums, but something about Mr. Beast and The Hawk Is Howling didn't hit me as hard as their previous albums.  Those albums have since grown on me a lot, but it wasn't until they released Hardcore that I fell in love with Mogwai all over again.  I played this album to death for months after it came out, and I still love it just as much today.  Start to finish, its fucking amazing.  I am now in phase two of my Mogwai fandom, thanks to this album. 


2 - TEN RAPID:  Sure, a collection of singles and what not, but I cranked this album non stop in my last year of High School.  My discman was always on me in that last year, and more often than not, this CD was in it.  I keep going back to CODY as the one that got me in, but I find Ten Rapid has zero filler, and its all killer.



3 - ROCK ACTION:  This album is flawless.  They made an album that was shockingly short, at just over half an hour.  If someone asked me what album to listen to to get into Mogwai its this one.  It should be my number one in theory, but something about the other two I just mentioned have a special place in my heart.


4 - HAPPY SONGS FOR HAPPY PEOPLE:  This one took about 4 years to sink in.  I really didnt like it that much when it came out, except for 3 songs or so.  Now today, its one of the first ones I will throw in when I am in a Mogwai mood.  A Moog?  Crank Ratts of the Capital, Haunted by a Freak, Killing all the Flies, I Know You Are But What Am I? and Stop Coming To My House.



5 - YOUNG TEAM: Their first album, and its officially a classic.  Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home, Like Herod, Katrien, Tracy, Summer, and Mogwai Fear Satan...I mean come on.

You Might Also Like

3 comments